Brazilian Field Seminar: January 7-19, 2012
Kristen J. McCormack
Faculty Director, Public and Nonprofit Management Program
The Brazilian Field Seminar is designed for MBA (Master in Business Administration) students from Boston University who seek to understand the changing role of business in society. Following a series of meetings in Boston, 20 MBA students will travel to three cities in Brazil over twelve days. The group will visit companies, social enterprises, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) as well as meet with community leaders and government officials in Salvador, Campinas, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
This program is designed for MBA students who seek to understand the changing role of business in society, specifically as it pertains to corporate social responsibility and sustainable development. We will explore the potential for business to address sustainability challenges through technical innovations, business practices, entrepreneurial initiatives and new business models designed to alleviate social or environmental conditions, make more efficient use of energy and natural resources, provide adequate health and education services, lower risk, create value and cause less harm to society in both urban and rural settings.
Time spent in Brazil allows students to witness the development and application of sustainable business models and practices first- hand, through the eyes of managers, entrepreneurs, CEOs and consumers.
The Brazilian Field Seminar is designed to help students:
- Develop a basic understanding of current global sustainability challenges
- Compare and contrast different approaches to corporate social responsibility in Brazil
- Understand the opportunities and challenges of a variety of Brazilian sustainable business models and practices
- Learn how to identify business opportunities for sustainable services and products that meet the needs of emerging markets
- Experience the social and cultural context within which businesses and NGOs operate
- Explore and develop a personal framework related to the role of business in society.