HEALTH SECTOR MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
The health sector is undergoing transformational growth and change, offering compelling opportunities and challenges for emerging managers and leaders. Here we prepare students for leadership roles throughout the health industry, including bio-technology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, health information technology, health systems management, consulting, and public policy.
The program curriculum is designed to combine a strong education in the core functions of health sector management with the flexibility to obtain an enhanced understanding and skill set with the student’s particular areas of interest.
This curriculum provides a developed approach to:
- build on the functional skills of the core MBA curriculum
- provide targeted understanding of the nature of the health sector, and the application of those basic skills to the sector
- provide even greater flexibility to address specialized interests within the sector, whether health service delivery, life science products, consulting, or any other focused area
Required Courses (2)
Two courses are required :
- HM703 Health Sector Issues and Opportunities (spring semester only)
- AND -
- HM710 Health Service Delivery: Strategies, Solutions and Execution (fall semester only)
- OR –
- HM717 Drugs, Devices, and Diagnostics: New Challenges, Strategies, and Execution (fall semester only)
Elective Courses (2)
These electives can create an intensive and targeted education within any subset of the health sector.
Two courses selected from the following list are required :
- HM710 Health Services Delivery: Strategies, Solutions and Execution*
- HM717 Drugs, Devices, and Diagnostics: New Challenges, Strategies, and Execution*
- HM801 Bench-to-Bedside-Translating Biomedical Innovation from the Laboratory to the Marketplace
- HM817 Health Information Technology
- HM833 Health Sector Marketing
- HM840 Health Sector Consulting
- IM853 India Field Seminar
- OM840 Managing and Improving Quality: Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Course project must relate to the health sector
- OM865 Idea Lab (on a pilot basis, if taken in Fall 2012 or Fall 2013, this course will count as an HSM elective)
- SI814 Intellectual Property Strategies in Life Sciences and Technology
- SI852 Starting New Ventures (formerly SP852)
Business plan developed must relate to the health sector
OB802 and HM856 are no longer offered, but meet the HSM elective requirement if previously completed.
* Course will count as an HSM elective if not taken as part of your HSM core
For full-time students, the program requires a Health Sector internship that students typically complete during the summer between the first and second years of the program.
Students must confirm their internship with the GPO. For more information on this process please contact Betsy Dick, advisor to the HSM program, at 617-353-0320 or firstname.lastname@example.org. See the following links for HSM Internship Form Part One and HSM Internship Form Part Two.
Faculty Director, Health Sector Management Program
Advisor to the HSM Program
Graduate Programs Office
MS·MBA students are eligible to enroll in the Health Sector Management Program, and may complete the required internship following the MSIS summer intensive courses.